Saturday, February 25, 2006

Missions Incredible

It's the Summer of 2005. I'm alone with 6 teenagers in South Korea. We are on a 12 day cultural and economic exchange. Prior to leaving America I had heard some astronomical statistics.
South Korea was:

As a Christian, it thrilled me to my very toes to think about being in that atmosphere. I was as excited to go as I was nervous to be so far from home.

This month, Christianity Today had a new statistic on it's cover... South Korea - Missions Incredible. They have now grown to be the largest sender on missionaries to the world - 13,000 with one missionary sent for every 4 churches. A New York Times article stated that with a 'low voice and wisdom', Koreans have had the greatest impact on converting the Muslim world to Christianity.

I was blessed. I didn't cheer, however, when I read either article. You want to know 'Why'? Because in my experience there was no 'low voice'. There was not even a whisper. If Christianity were defined soley as 'service until it hurts', then every person I met would have fully qualified. There was one heart that would have welcomed that whisper; it was starved and ravenous when it arrived back home. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Things have been different for me in two ways since my return. 1) I'm more anxious to serve people, to give until it hurts. 2) I whisper. To everyone who looks hungry... and even some who don't.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so interesting to hear about this trip that you took last summer. I look forward to hearing about your adventure this summer! I hope all is going well in your planning! :)
Take care,
Nicole

Deeapaulitan said...

Planning is going well. I am really excited to return, but more excited about seeing the kids experience it for the first time. I love wonder and awe in the eyes of teenagers! We have only 2 more days until the students are chosen! The pace will be intense after that.
I was able to connect to your blog! How fun to have you in blogdom now!

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

If you come to Korea again next summer, perhaps we'll see each other. My family and I attend Seoul International Baptist Church.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Deeapaulitan said...

Wouldn't that be fun Jeffery? I didn't get to go to church last year, but I am hoping to this trip! We'll be there in July. This time with 8 kids and 2 chaperones! I'll let you know if it looks like the schedule is going to allow us to attend a service.

Amy Witt said...

When I grow up can I be like you? I love you blog. I have three home fries my self though they are little. I am enjoying it now and looking forward to the future. Moms like you who have been there and bought the t-shirt help me see that this is the right journey for us.

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Good. Do let me know. I think that you'd like the church.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *