Friday, March 16, 2012

Handmade Home: Kitchen Edition

Not long ago my friend Ingrid wrote a post about the treasures she has in her home that were made by hands that are dear to her.  It made me take pause.  Inspired, I began to tiptoe through the room I was in (kitchen), peeking in drawers and cupboards, seeking to find generational blessings.
Day to day doesn't often yield thoughts of pleasure over functional wares, yet during this little treasure hunt I found myself in wonderment at times.  
"Hands that never knew me created this for me to use." 
"Hands that love(d) me wanted me to know it in this simple way."
Smiles kept surfacing.
The potholders (clockwise from upper left):  My mama's 1st sewing projects as a little girl.  Made by me about 5 years ago.  My great grandmother, Rachel, for my mama's trousseau.  Great grandmother, Virgie, for my grandmother's trousseau.
 Toweling and cloths:  Mama with old enamel fabric paints.  Malinda's most awesome dishcloths (she learned from her Grandma Judy- J's mom).  Cross stitched border by great grandma, Rachel.
 Clockwise again:  Honey-butter crock made by me in 8th grade and proudly used by my grandparents for the rest of their days.  Platters made for the kids by Mama.  Bowl made by a prisoner that our uncle was friends with - We sent him a letter (the kids too) and he sent this with our uncle to give to us.  Spoon whittled by my grandfather while he was on board the USS Trenton during WWII.
 2 smaller pics on left: Painting done by a very small Mr. Lumpifumpus (Ingrid's son) for my 37th birthday.  Tea tins re-covered for a decorative flair :) by me.
2 side by side: 1st project my grandma did on her brand new treadle machine after she was married.  Paper rose made by a teenage friend, who may as well be family, for my 41st birthday.
Lastly: 3 aprons, each by a different generation.  Grandma's (pink and green), Great Grandma's (light blue), Mama's (pink with flowers).  And the navy checkered on was made for me as a little girl by Great Grandma Rachel. 
  
"It is gently and respectfully amusing to me, the DIY buzz  and idealization of the “meaningful, handmade home,” having grown up as I did on a little hippie farm, surrounded by pet goats, chickens, and voluntary simplicity, during a time when this was not much valued by the mainstream culture. I can’t help but wonder if the same mall-clad middle-school girls who mocked my meaningful, handmade clothes in the ’80s are at this very moment earnestly laboring over hand-knits and trying to tap the trees in their backyard."  ~ Ingrid

1 comment:

...iph... said...

Wonderful! Hooray! So glad I inspired this lovely look. This is reminding me that I want to post my own kitchen version, and reminding me of a few handmade items I forgot to photograph (aprons)... and a few handmade projects I've been meaning to attempt and haven't yet (pot holders)... and all the while my kitchen is being whittled down to the barest and sparest condition I can get it into to "show."