Sunday, November 05, 2006

New Life from Old

I'm Reading again.

A book I have actually wanted to read for awhile, but have never found. Yesterday, miraculously, while I was on a mission at a second hand store to buy note cards, I saw a sale sign on tables of books.
Asking my youngest to inquire as to what the sale was, I began to peruse. She returned to tell me that every book was 10 cents! Now, it isn't as if we don't already have 20 + boxes of books packed, but 10 cents? What is a bibliophile to do???

There, tucked between books that were 5x its size and girth was the little book I had been searching for for years after overhearing a conversation about it in a bookstore. 10 cents handed over to the Senior Center and this little 50 year old gem was mine!

The Title? Gift from the Sea - by Anne Morrow Lindburgh. I am absorbing it. Drinking it in. It feels like she is talking intimately with me. As if we 2 are the only ones in the room and our hearts are whispering to eachother.

I'll let you in on the secret - just a glimpse
: "The shape of my life is determined by many things; my background and childhood, my mind and education, my conscience and its pressures, my heart and its desires. I want to give and take from my children and husband, to share with my friends and community, to carry out my obligations as a woman, an artist, as a citizen. But I want first to be at peace. I want singleness of eye, a purity of intention, a central core to my life that will enable me t carry these out well. I would like to achieve a state on inward grace from which I could function and give as I was meant to in the eye of God."

50 years and she knows my heart. 50 years and new life is being birthed from dormant seed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that Doug has finally made it to chapter 3! Lots of good stuff in that little book of Colossians.

Anonymous said...

Hello :) Have we seen each other anywhere? At least online? :-)

It was great I found you here. Now I know why I loved your pictures so much :)

Now I'll be praying for the time to be here and read :)

Oh, I wish I could find 10 cents books. My van would be full, I guess :) See you around!

Sara said...

Did your heart start to beat really fast when you heard they were only 10 cents?! Thrifting induced heart palpitations? Ooooh what a bargain! And then to find the "miracle" God intended for you that day. Double blessing. Looks like a good one.

Deeapaulitan said...

@ Adam -- Hey brother! I'm so glad you found me here too! It will be nice being able to communicate both places!

@ Sara - Both Minda's and my hearts took off at breakneck speed! Now if only I could find "Irresistable" for 10 cents so that I didn't have to wait for the Library!

Anonymous said...

hey sister :) I found you and was in a little shock... a nice shock, I'll add :) to communicate, yes it will be nice if only I organize my time good enough to come here :)