Friday, April 22, 2011

My White Chili

Assume the ingredients are organic, or local, and fresh!
I don't know anyone who make this the way I do, so I thought I'd share it with you.  I'm loving being home and cooking for my crew again.  It fills me with smiles.  I'll post photos later.
  • 1/2 cup water, divided
  • 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 2 cups Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons arrowroot
Pour half of the water into a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the garlic and garlic powder, and boil until the water has almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in the Yogurt, parsley, and pepper. Mix the arrowroot with the remaining water, and stir into the sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes. 
  • 1 tablespoon sunflower / canola oil
  • 2 shallots, roughly chopped
  • 3 Large cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 c. diced jalapeno peppers
  • 1/2 c. chopped green chili peppers (any kind - I used Serrano)
  • 3 c. diced green tomatoes, with juices
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  •  30 oz. low sodium, low fat chicken broth (can sub veggie broth)
  • 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken breasts (can be left out)
  • 3 (15 ounce) cans white beans
  • 1 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 cup shredded Jack cheese (optional)
  1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Slowly cook and stir the shallot until tender. Mix in the garlic, jalapeno, green chili peppers, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Continue to cook and stir the mixture until tender, about 3 minutes. Mix in the chicken broth, chicken and white beans and white sauce (from above). Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Remove the mixture from heat. Stir in cilantro. Slowly stir in the cheese until melted. Serve warm. 
Cornbread or tortilla chips for a side and dinner is served! 
 

2 comments:

Shalet said...

I do believe I will have to give this a go. Now I just need to find a day off ...

Cassia said...

You definitely should Shalet! ;) It's amazing!