Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Man in Our Lives

There once was a day when they all would have fit IN the chair...
I fell in love with his voice. In 9th grade (he was in 11th) at a Jazz Choir performance when he sang Billy Joels' "The Longest Time" my heart was his. I didn't know his name, but I would have married him on the spot. Little did I know that the following year he would ask me to dance in PE class and we would be dancing together for the rest of our lives.
Since my initial meltdown in 9th grade, our lives have diverged and merged again, seen the rollercoaster highs and lows of becoming one flesh, held three newborn babies that God granted us the grace to create, and heard the 'song of redemption' sung over us, mercifully, infinate times. We have grown together. We have changed.
Yet, he still makes me laugh (if he catches me off guard), makes me feel beautiful, makes me weak, makes me want to spit nails, and makes me proud to belong to him alone.
He doubts his abilities as a Dad, but he needn't. He has three kids who want more than anything to see HIS smile over them. They feel secure in his love. If he is proud of them, they are proud of themselves. Their hearts belong to Daddy.
Happy Fathers' Day. To all of you papas out there, but especially to the man who accepted with joy a very broken, troublesome, hotheaded little Lass and believed in her enough to make her his "Paul Girl" for a lifetime.

4 comments:

Amy Witt said...

YOu can hear the love in your voice. You are a blessed family.

Pastor Paul said...

"... his "Paul Girl" for a lifetime."

No, no, it's, "for 'the longest time'."

Whittaker Woman said...

That was amazing. Can i cut and paste that to carlos. Well except the 9th grade story. :)

Deeapaulitan said...

I promise not to press plagerism charges, Heather! Cut and paste away! ;>