Monday, October 08, 2012

Blended

As the weather continues to plunge lower than Christina Aguilera's necklines, soup is sounding more and more appealing!  Last night I made Faux mashed potatoes to go with J's steak.  He liked them, but I think he'll be happier having them added to a soup to give it a nice thick consistency and I'll be happier because they are gf & vegan which means I can keep to my way of eating too!  So today's dinner menu will be my take on Dahl (lentil stew) and GF Chive and Rosemary muffins (THIS is my favorite recipe, but I sub out the egg for flax gel.)


Deeapaulitan's Dahl-esque Fusion
1 tsp. hemp oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 carrots, grated
2 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes
4 c. veggie stock
2 1/2 c. prepared mashed cauliflower
1/2 c. coconut aminos
1 quart coconut water
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (more, if you are like me and like it spicy - you can add later too)
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 Tblsp. fine chopped fresh ginger
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. turmeric
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. red lentils
Large handfull of cilantro, rinsed and roughly chopped
1-2 c. coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Sweat the onion, pepper, and garlic in the oil in a stock pot until onion begins to become translucent - stir often to prevent burning / sticking.
Add all other ingredients except lentils, cilantro, & coconut milk.  Stir until blended. Let come to boil & reduce to simmer for  30 minutes or until tomatoes are loosened from their skins.
Set a large strainer over a deep bowl and carefully scoop the soup into the strainer, letting the bowl catch the liquid broth.
Add what is left in the strainer to a blender or food processor with a mincing blade.  There should be enough moisture remaining in the contents to not have to add the broth back in and just puree' the pieces, but add some if needed.


Return puree' and broth to stock pot.  10-15 minutes before dinner is to be served, rinse lentils and add to soup.  Bring soup to boil then reduce heat to med-high, cover and let cook until lentils soften (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.


When ready to serve, you can garnish it with a drizzle of coconut milk and a sprinkling of cilantro.
I find there is enough saltiness in the stock and aminos to not need more, but everyones' tastes are different.


C and 2 of her new roommates, Steph & Larissa, swung by after their hike today and joined us for dinner and a rousing game of Balderdash.  They girls offered to bring bread, so I didn't make the muffins.  It worked out, but I think I'll make a batch of them tomorrow for dinner because something bread-ish sounds good to me and I can't do the regular version.

Hope everyone stayed warm and enjoyed their Mondays!!

No comments: