Friday, December 30, 2005

Lessons from the Amigos


As a mom, home day in and day out, with the kids, doing dishes and laundry, making meals and sending James off to work, life sometimes feels like the scene in "The Three Amigos" where Lucky Day (Steve Martin) is chained to a wall in the dungeon of El Guapo. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, repent , then go rent it.
Disclaimer: There are a couple choice words and a bit of inuendo...
As a Christian, I am thankful for gringos like Fredrick Buechner that fall from the sky and knock out the cruel... evil... villainous... murdering... infamous El Guapos so that my heart can once again be a peaceful village. :)
I quote:
"There is no event so commonplace that God is not there within it, always, hiddenly, always leaving room to recognize Him or not to recognize Him, but all the more fascinatingly because of that, all the more compellingly and hauntingly... Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness. Touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it because in the last analysis, all moments are key moments, and life itself... is grace." Buechner ~ "listen to you life"
After Buechner, El Guapo and his plethora of scum sucking pigs die like the dogs they are! Hasta Luego.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post was "like beer."

Deeapaulitan said...

Is it Fat-ten-ning? And will you perform My Little Buttercup for me tonight? ;>

Tracy Million Simmons said...

Hi. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Now I've had the chance to browse yours - including the Aug. 31 entry. Enjoyed "meeting" you. I'll be checking back.

Anonymous said...

Three Amigos is my all time favorite movie. I have seen it over and over and it is usually mandatory watching on youth group road trips. A couple of years ago, I had the high school guys perform my little buttercup in the Tall Timber talent show. Funny, funny, funny!