Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Yesterday - Beetles vs. Foreigner

In case you haven't noticed a trend in my blogs (for those of you who even read them) they seem to tend toward dreams, goals, desires, ambitions...
So, in the true spirit of monotony, here I go again!

"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they’re here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday.
Suddenly, I’m not half the man I used to be,
There’s a shadow hanging over me.
Oh, how I long for yesterday." (Sir Paul McCartney)

Open almost any highschool yearbook and read the "What I want to do" sentence beneath the photos. With the world beneath their feet, and what appears to be immortality ahead of them, they soar into the lofty heights of vision:
"Write best sellers & travel the world!"
"Find a cure for Cancer"
"Live in Costa Rica and backpack barefooted to Venezula"
"Supreme Court Justice"
A 20 year reunion book would read slightly differently in the "What I want to do" section,however, while the "Did you accomplish your dream?" section would feel like walking through a morgue:
"Pay my bills and get the creditors off my back" "Dreams melt when they get too close to the sun you know... they can't take the heat."

"Repair my house before it falls down around my ears." "Making a difference in the meatloaf and finding a cure for finicky eaters is as far as this dreamer got."
etc...

Something happens along the way. Instead of looking outward, we look inward. Rather than looking forward, we look back. We downgrade from "conquer the world", to "hang on for dear life" or "show me the $$$" . How do we change direction without losing passion and vision and hope? God has been whispering through the rubble of the hopes I'm burried beneath that there is more to my story than I have ever dreamed. Funny how hearing a whisper seems to stir more delight and desire than a shout.
Nahum 1:7 ..."the Lord knows who trusts in Him."

"But that was yesterday
I had the world in my hands
But it’s not the end of the world
Just a slight change of my plans
That was yesterday
But today life goes on
No more hiding in yesterday’ cause yesterday’s gone
It’s not the end of the world
Just a little hard to understand
You won’t find me in yesterday’s world
Now yesterday’s gone
Goodbye yesterday
Now it’s over and done
Still I hope somewhere deep in my heart
Yesterday will live on" Foreigner c. 1984

Keep whispering, Father, I'm listening...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Deea....I just took a brief look around your blog. I'm persuaded that "He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it!!" Keep dreaming and relating the daily goals to the dream...and I'm convinced they can/will be reality. (And, I'm speaking from under the pile on laundry you know:)) Love you, Shanda

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was. Just in case you were wondering. I gave her your address a couple weeks ago!

I'm convinced as I get older (I'm almost dead) that "He who began a good work in us" is much more interested in the process/journey than the goal/destination. Having said that I also believe we serve a big, big God who loves to do God-size things through depraved human beings to the glory of His name.

Deeapaulitan said...

Shanda! So good to hear from you! Peggy told us you had had #5, but I haven't heard if it's a boy or a girl and what you chose for a name! Thanks for the encouragment. I never expect anyone to really visit here and read the posts, I use it more for scribbling thoughts down than for writing life altering revelations for others. It has been a nice outlet. I love you guys and have missed hearing from you. Maybe this will help us keep in touch!
:>