Thursday, March 08, 2007

That's What Friends Are For

Being in a new community after 16 years in the same body, same town, having our families close and knowing the in and outs of the town and vicinities, is challenging my heart to trust God.
I'm a relational being. It is hard to get to know me, though. I tend to feel awkward and shy in new situations and I turtle. Needless to say, the friends I make are friends for life!

12 years ago, a sweet 17 yr old came into our lives to be a babysitter to our kids. She loved us relentlessly and we returned the favor. Though she is 7 years younger than me, we relate with one another. I respect her immensely.

She came to visit us this week. We had her all to ourselves from Saturday to Thursday! I didn't realize how much my heart was in need of that intimacy that comes from being KNOWN & loved until Cassia made this observation... :

"It is so good to hear you laughing again, Mom."

It struck me that I have not laughed a whole lot since we moved 3 months ago. Oh, I laugh with James, and with the kids, and even with guests - but with Sabrina I let loose that deep, spirit soaring laugh.
On Sabby's 2nd evening with us, Minda came upstairs after she was supposed to be in bed and said, "Could you 2 keep it down? I can't get to sleep with your loud outbursts."

Wednesday, I was able to share with our new Home Group that I was longing for that to be a consistant thing again. I know it is God's desire. I will be faithful to love those He brings into my life and pray that His Spirit will knit me to the ones who will be my next "lifelong friends"!
Thank you for coming Sabrina. I'm already counting the days until next time! I love you!

3 comments:

Sara said...

What fun photos...I'm so glad you had a great time with her. What a blessing!

Anonymous said...

I wanna come and see you!! I am so glad Sabrina came to visit you. It just makes me want to come that much more. I passed the the area where you lived the other day and thought of you and then got anxious about our visit that is yet to come. Not sure when, we are going into our busy season, but Montana is on the top of our list. Love ya-Shelly

Anonymous said...

It was so good to spend time with you and the rest of the family. I have missed you guys greatly and I was so glad to be able to come. You hold a special place in my heart. I can't wait until I can come again. Love, Sabrina