Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Really Clean

I love how the house smells when it is clean! However, it probably isn't the scent most people think of when they think 'clean'. There is no pine, no amonia, no lemony wax smell that greets you when you walk through the door. A little over two years ago all chemical products were purged from our home. What isn't made here, we make sure is safe for the enviorment - and for us. In the end, the house smells just plain clean without competing scents.

Here are some of my favorite home and body cleaners:
Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Magic Soap! Great for hair, clothes, dog... it comes in a vaiety of scents, but this is my long time standby. I also like the lavendar and the tea tree. Another of Bronner's creations, but this one is for hard surfaces. I do dishes with this, clean our floors, kitchen counters, etc... It's not soap, but it does have suds. Amazing stuff ~ SAL Suds. Nature's Gate has come a long way. Their new scents are luscious, but this is one that I repeatedly find myself gravitating toward. Madarine Orange Patchouli. My other fave is Grapefruit Wild Ginger. Natural Antibacterials.


In the dishwasher I use ECOS Wave powder tabs. I tried making my own dishwasher soap, but it just didn't get the dishes as clean or disolve well, so I am doing the next best thing ~ non-toxic, plant-based, free of phosphates, chlorine, petroleum chemicals, 100% biodegradable and the containers are easily recycled.


That's really all that isn't homemade around here. Here's a link to many of the recipes I use for glass, toilet, shower, carpet, & wood.


One wasteful product that I have not been able to get away from are dryer sheets. In the summer, I try to let things dry on a line, but winter and the static are BEARS where I live. Grizzly style - if you know what I mean?! Dryer sheets are toxic, however. Gives new meaning o "killing me softly", eh? Unlike some, I could care less whether any scent is left on the clothes, just keep away the static creep and crackle! The only natural alternative that works is Mrs. Meyer's, I've found. I reuse the sheets several ways. 1st use sheets are saved in a pile on top of my dryer. When there are 2 per load for the remaining loads, I begin putting 2 - 1st use sheets in for a 2nd time to make up the equivalent. After their 2nd run I save them in a container for dust cloths, computer screen wipes, & over the top of a cloth as a 'swiffer' for the hard floors. Mrs. Meyer's are biodegradable.

It's cleaning day here. I can't wait to smell it!

10 comments:

Sara said...

Yay for natural cleaners! Woo! One idea for you to consider...instead of dryer sheets, you could use a washcloth with essential oils on it. A few drops, throw it in, and voila! Nice smelling laundry. And the smells are endless...how about lavender/lemon? Lavender/mint? There are so many.

Deeapaulitan said...

Smells, yes, but it is the static cling I use them for. I can't get away from them for that one reason.

naomi said...

question: would you say that using the products you use saves you money, costs more, or about evens out?

Deeapaulitan said...

Saves!! Without a doubt! I think the initial outlay of dough was a substantial chunk (when we first made the switch) but since then the upkeep has been minimal. I only have to buy SAL suds every 3 months. It runs 8.95 a bottle. The other Dr. Bonner's runs about $11 a bottle and I buy it about every 2.5 months. That works out to be about $8 a month total for dish soap, floor cleaner, shampoo, dog shampoo and laundry detergent! The dishwasher tabs are even with what I was paying before. The dryer sheets are a bit more, but I don't have to buy pledge or special wipes for the computer screen and I buy fewer swiffers, so it evens out that way.
Of course the cleaners I make are cheap! Vinegar, Baking Soda, Borax... those things cost pennies per gallon, so no extra costs there and I can add a drop or two of essential oil to the cleaner for aroma. (I usually get these as gifts so I haven't had to buy any myself yet.) Hope that answered your questions, Naomi! You know where to find me if you have more!
:O)

*carrie* said...

Deea,

First of all, thank you for leaving the recipes and ideas on my exchange post. I will have to try the lentils as a side dish with our Mexican dishes. I forwarded your other recipes to Monica and Meredith, respectively.

Secondly, thanks for sharing what works for you in the way of natural cleansers. I wasn't familiar with several of these.

Deeapaulitan said...

I hope you love them as much as we do Carrie! Lentils are a serious staple around here!

I love reading both your's and Monica's blogs. You bless my heart with your pursuit of the Lord and being faithful stewards of all He's given!

Deanna said...

I found your blog through Sara's at Walk Slowly....I am wondering what mixture you use for Dr. Bronner's shampoo. Is there a place on line that tells you what mixture to use for which purpose?? Thanks! I love, love, love the mint smell when cleaning. It actually makes me want to clean my kitchen.

Deeapaulitan said...

Hi Deanna!
I use 3/4 Bronner's to 1/4 water mix for shampoo, and it takes about as much as a nickle for my really long hair. I still have to use a conditioner ( http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P2882&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5332#moreInfo )which I only buy once a year.
I use it concentrated for the laundry, but only use a cap full for the entire load. 2-3 caps full for the floor and just a squirt for a sink load of dishes. It was trial and error to find what worked. I am by no means the authority, I just do what works for us!

Deeapaulitan said...

I should have said that the floor dilution is in a 5 gallon bucket of water. And also, don't use the magic soap on hard surfaces - use the SAL suds or you'll have a residue. SAL doesn't have to be rinsed if it is diluted properly.

Heather said...

I've heard that tennis balls work well as a replacement for dryer sheets. I haven't tried it myself. And I have also heard of "dryer balls." You could try either of those.