Thursday, April 17, 2008

Raw Granola Bars



I've integrated about 90% raw into my diet. It was a challenge from Sara. It's been difficult to do as much as I would like because of family, and lack of a garden, but I have loved what I have been able to do.

I was hungry for granola bars the other day, so I decided to try my hand at making them raw. In order to make them stick together I used organic dates, organic, fresh almond butter, and unsulphered, non-heat processed molasses. Into that I added organic unsweetened coconut flakes, organic whole oats, organic raw sunflower seeds, organic flax seed, almonds, and dried apricots. I mixed it, pressed it into a pan, and let it dry for a day and a half with a screen on it (I also don't have a dehydrator). They were yummy - with the exception of the apricots... I won't add those next time. I may make more soon. The 12 bars this made went fast! I may substitute out the molasses for honey and see how that goes.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Yay! I'm so excited you're trying raw :) A REALLY simple raw granola bar...blend equal parts of almonds and dates (soaked and pitted) in the food processor...press into a pan, chill and cut. Yum! Basically a homemade Lara Bar. Your bars look yummy! Maybe next time try dried calmyra figs...those would be good too.

Deeapaulitan said...

I have been doing it since April 1st. :o)

Unknown said...

Your site is so beautiful! How did you do that? I'm here because Im hunting for a raw granola bar. Peace.

Alani said...

Ah cool! I finally found an easy way to make this.. thank you!