Thursday, June 26, 2008

The greatest is love ...

So, I'm trying to let God speak to my wounded heart. Wounds don't like to be spoken to. None-the-less, Holy Spirit is speaking and even getting through somehow.


Having Holy Spirit speaking and moving is humbling. I am constantly at the verge of tears it seems. A few days ago these verses were running through my head :



I Cor. 13: 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. - - 13 ...Faith, hope and love will endure, but the greatest of these is Love.

I've also been re-reading A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, & A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeline L'engle. I came across a conversation in A Wind that cut to the quick. A Cheribum is giving a lesson to a human girl-


"To be named is to be known, & to know who you are meant to be. ...to be known you must be loved. If someone knows who he is, really knows, then there is no need to hate or envy. (Satan) is an Un-namer -- causing people to not know who they are -- causing hate."



"If I hate someone whenever I think of them, am I naming them?"




"No. You are un-naming." You are a tool of Satan.




"How do I name someone/thing I do not love or find lovely?"




"Only love makes a person know who they are. You are full of love, but you do not know how to stay within it when it isn't easy. If you fail to name someone, you yourself are open to being un-named. You must find something worthy of love & begin there."




"Loving makes us wholly ourselves as well as making others whole?"




"Yes, Meg-let, whole and real and alive..."



How many have I kept from Life by not choosing to find something worthy of loving? What have I gained from witholding protection, trust, and hope from others?

Have I un-named myself by not giving others a name that declares His love for them?

At the end of the day faith, hope and love abide -- at the end of life will I be known for the greatest of these?


Posted by Picasa

No comments: