Monday, November 17, 2008

What's your favorite?

Saturday, before the Sunday waves of nausia hit, I got started on the Thanksgiving day prep!! Of course I had to start with my favorite part - Pecan Pie (made with hazelnuts because I'm alergic to pecans)!!!! Filberts (aka Hazelnuts) shelled and hulled by Minda (8-10 cups of them thanks to Brian Jacques and crew on CD keeping her preoccupied!)
Eggs from back on the farm ~ Wilson's was a yearly field trip when the chitlins were a bit more on the wee side of life. Vegie fed, free range, no antibiotics, no steroids - totally organic, and sometimes wild gathered as they have no hen houses - only layer boxes! Golden treasures in every one.
A wedding gift to my grandmother (circa 1930), used also by my mother, given to me and will be passed on to my girls when they grow up, get married and get to create their first Thanksgiving dinners for their families.
Almost ready for the Thankgiving table! I have found that baking at 5800 ft. is a hurry up and wait exercise. I kept adding 10 minutes, and then adding 10 more... 45 extra minutes in order to get the filling set!! That's ok, though - I know how it tastes and it will be worth every tick of the clock!
This is how our evening ended! We also snuck away to dinner with friends at a local restaraunt. I had the yummiest spinach chevre stuffed portabello on a bed of polenta with local baby carrots and steamed green beans to just the right crunchiness!
What a great day!
Have any of you begun baking for the holidays? What is your favorite part of Thanksgiving?

No comments: