Saturday, December 20, 2008

Times of Tradition - #4

I'm posting this today because I made it and have the photos!
Tradition #4:


I don't know when (j's) Mom started doing this, but it fast became one of our very favorite things about Christmas. We went to J's parent's every year. All of our family was in town, so we would load up in our jammies and trek across the lake to Grama's house (actually the kids declared in Auntie Anna's house). Mom would put this in the oven as we gathered in the family room around the fire to open stockings and gifts. It bakes at a low heat for a long time and it is a perfect, tastey no-fuss meal for a busy morning - especially one where you want to enjoy family and not slave over the stove in the kitchen. We eat it with a special Cinnamon bread that was passed down from my side of the family, chilled pears and o.j. (or hot coffee for the adults!)
Here's the recipe if anyone wants to try it. :o)
Main Body:
8 slices of bread - chunked
2.5 cups milk
4 eggs
2# Jimmy Dean style sausage
2 cups grated cheese
cover bottom of 13x9 with bread chunks. beat together eggs and milk. brown sausage and drain. Spread sausage evenly over bread. pour egg mixture evenly over that. distribute cheese over that. Cover and refridgerate for at least 8 hours. (I made it today and will freeze it until Christmas Eve.)
Topping:
1 can cream soup (I use chicken, Mom uses mushroom)
1/2 c. milk
JUST BEFORE BAKING whisk together, pour evenly over casserole layers. Preheat oven to 300. cook uncovered for 1.5 hours. (I cover it with aluminum foil if it starts to get too brown).
That's all there is to it. If you ask my kids what one of their favorite parts of Christmas was, THIS would be their answer! Let me know if you try it!

3 comments:

outdoor.mom said...

it looks like a good recipe :-) i might try it...

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite Paul family traditions! So yummie :)

Deeapaulitan said...

:o)