Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Share

The coffee cake was such a hit, I have to share the recipe with you.
Streusel Coffee Cake
1.5 c. flour
2 tsp. baking pwd.
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
1/3 c. sugar
2 Tblsp butter
2/3 c. milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 egg

sift dry ingrd. together, cut in butter. Beat egg, add milk& s.crm. - blend. Combine the liquid with the dry ingrd. Pour into oiled 8x8 pan and top with Streusel (below).
(the batter doesn't really "pour", and it isn't smooth on top when in the pan - it is sticky and has peaks and valleys all over the place).

3 Tblsp flour
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c br. sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tblsp butter

mix together dry ingrd., cut in butter, sprinkle on top of coffee cake.

Bake 25 min. @ 400 degrees F.

 Our days and weeks fill up fast around here.  These morning moments of quiet, sipping coffee, appraising the week/day/month ahead, are a godsend.  Thankful that all those years on the ranch of getting up at 4 AM never really worked their way out of my life. 
Also thankful I no longer have to head out the door to feed horses and move handlines at that time of day!
 Sunday evenings are always spent with neighbors.  Having to be indoors now presents a bit of a challenge space-wise, but I have to tell you, I kind of enjoy the coziness and all the chatter and the togetherness due to the embargo imposed by the snow and cold.
I made this for dinner, with home baked Parmesan Focasia, and a simple green salad.  It's so delicious, and easy!  So, lucky you, you get 2 recipes from me today!

Roasted Mediterranean Chicken
1 16oz. jar Sauerkraut, drained
1.5# small purple potatoes, washed & halved
1/4c. vegetable broth
2 pints grape tomatoes
1 head of garlic, separated and peeled
2c. Kalamata pitted olives, drained
2 Tblsp. Olive Oil
2 tsp. Mediterranean seasoning (oregano, garlic granules, lemon peel, dill weed, chili flakes, spearmint leaf, thyme & mace)  (I found it at World Market)
8 pieces of chicken with skin
Fresh ground black pepper 
Juice of one lemon 
Preheat oven to 425.  
Toss all ingrd. except 1 Tblsp of oil & chicken, pepper and lemon juice in a large bowl (or directly in roasting pan)
Nestle chicken, skin side up, into veggies. Brush with remaining oil, sprinkle with pepper.
Roast until chicken is cooked through - about 35 - 40 minutes.
Transfer chicken to platter.  Squeeze lemon over veggies. Gently scrape any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan before transferring to bowl to serve with chicken.

I'm eating leftover veggies today.  Had me singing Depeche Mode "I Just Can't Get Enough" as I was heating up seconds.
:)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! Looks excellent. And we are overdue for a coffee cake, too, I'd say. Thanks for posting!

Sara said...

Love seeing bits of your life. I will be making the coffee cake...and I was hoping you'd post the recipe for that chicken when I saw it on Flickr. My prego bod loves protein and I've been eating more fish and chicken.

Beth at Five Kids Is A Lot Of Kids said...

Oh my gosh! Those roasted vegetables had me trying to crawl through my computer screen. No wonder you were singing to them the next day. ;)

Sara said...

What do I do when Lucy wants to wake up at 4:55am? I get up and make coffee cake and bread. Yummo! I need to go wake up Matt and Bella so they can delight in it. :) Love you friend! Can't wait to see you.