Thursday, January 26, 2006

A Return


I'm going back. Never would I have thought even one year ago that I would be a chaperone of 6 American teens, trapsing across the globe, braving airports, and loving Korean food. (Mom would tell you that as a child I had a steady diet of grilled cheese sandwiches!!) I had never been out of the USA, and had only been out of the Pacific Northwest once.

Now our county has elected me to go again! There will be 2 chaperones this time! Up to 8 kids will get to go. We leave in July for 2 weeks with our friends in GunPo City, S. Korea. It's a time of fostering friendships, learning to appreciate other cultures and building community.

I'm SO excited! and Mom, I didn't order one single grilled cheese the entire time, and I ate all my vegetables!

3 comments:

Ron Henzel said...

Have a wonderful trip!

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Glad that you had a good time in Korea. My family and I like living here.

By the way, I left a comment on your blogpost about homeschooling if you ever have a chance to take a look.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Deeapaulitan said...

Thank You Ishy, I plan to. I've been checking up on you, I'm waiting for your next dose of pithiness... guess genious takes time! :)

Jeffery - the main thing you will need to find out are the laws about homeschooling where you are. They may not apply to you because of your citizenship, but it is best to be on the safe side. Other than that, homeschooling has grown so rapidly in the past 5 years that there are numerable resources available on the web. A Google on 'homeschooling' will produce 1000's of hits. Your job is going to be more asessing where your kids are developmentally, looking at curriculum that will best suit their needs and yours, and then making the commitment to carry through even when the going gets rough! We have used Saxon math the entire way through and I love it. We use Apologia Science, Abeka English & history (supplemented with DVD's and road trips), all of our languages and geography is done on the computer with Powerglide. Hope that helps. Feel free to post and ask Q's anytime. I love talking shop!