Monday, May 08, 2006

Telling the Culture the Truth

When I was little (in the 70's) Gloria Steinham was all over the news, the fight for women to get equal salary for equal work was the current fight in congress, and bra burning was a show of whether or not you were truly committed to the cause. Imagine my teacher's face when in 3rd grade social studies I answered the question "What would you like to be when you grow up?" with "A wife and mother." I was told that was what any woman could do and that wasn't a career. I had to come up with another answer or get demerits.
I was brought up in a one parent household. A latchkey kid if there ever was one. I saw my dad once every few years, got presents that were too big or too small, a letter or phone call occasionally... the same story many of the offspring of the Baby Boomers have to tell.
When I came to know Christ as my Father (a long process) I had already become a mindwarped child of the culture. When it came to men I believed the old song, "Anything you can do, I can do better. I can do anything better than you." It was going to take someone strong and powerful to wrangle me in as a wife. When it came to being a mother, I didn't mind being one, I just didn't want to be like my mom or grama (though now I see what incredible odds they overcame). But remember when I told you about Nigglers? My spirit didn't believe what my mind & culture were telling me. It really began to niggle when a guy, who was an unashamed Christian, with a singing voice that made dreams come true in young girls' hearts, began to pay special attention to me. The dreams that came rushing back to the surface were of belonging to someone who loved me - only me, and having a big family that would grow up knowing and loving God. The dreams of being a wife and mother.
I had set in motion all the necessary cogs and wheels for going off to college. I had won two scholarships that would pay for 4 years of education at NNU, I had been accepted, had sent in my dorm fees, and shopped for a new wardrobe (the first time I could ever remember doing so in 18 years... or since for that matter). A wrench was thrown into my well oiled machine, however. THE guy moved to my town, began taking me to a church that changed... no, changed isn't the right word... Refocused, yes that's it, refocused my priorities and I announced to everyone that I was staying home. One month later I was engaged, 2 months after that I was married, one year later I was a mom...

I have had much criticism, and apologetic headshakes from ladies who still believe the cultural brainwashing. I was one of the lucky (or rather... Blessed) ones. I found The Truth & the truth. God's grace & the truth that The Meaning of Life is Love. In Loving God, Loving others, and Loving who I am when I am Loving. I am valuable. That means able to be valued... I have worth because of Love.
A study that came out at the beginning of the month brought this home to me. It's a secular study... One from the culture!! Another Article deals with the same issue here. 20 years after all the bras in America were burned to smithereens the smoke is clearing and a new generation (mine! woo hoo!) is writing a neo-creed and stiching up some newfangled braziers!
This site gives a monetary value to what we do every day! I'm worth $197,213 annually... I can't even imagine. I don't need it though. I didn't get into this line of work for the money. I do it for the Love.

5 comments:

Sabrina said...

I remember sitting in your kitchen listening to your stories about your younger childhood and when you first got married. I miss those times :( I can't wait until I can stay at home at have the same career as you! Just waiting on God's timing. I look at all the kids that I work with at the daycare sometimes and think about all they are missing because their mom's can't or won't stay home with them. Well now I have to go pray about being undistracted :)

Deeapaulitan said...

LOL! I can't wait for that day too! You pray about being undistracted and I'll pray for God's man to hear your name resonating in his heart!
I miss you.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading that! Your pictures were great too! When I have kids, I am going to have your job too! I can't wait.
Nicole

Deeapaulitan said...

Thanks Nicole! You have such a heart for family and relationship, I know you are going to be a great mom!

Amy Witt said...

GOd brings us to the same place with different stories. At the time you were getting married I was graduating from college and dreaming of the same thing yet He called me to teach school instead. The desire to marry never went away but I kept on teaching and serving Him. GOd brought Honey and me together in His timing because it sure was not in mine. And here I am, 40 with a 2 year old and praying each day for the energy to keep up with him.