Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Cultivating Individuality

I'm reading a book right now, and it is teaching me so much about being a wife and mom. The title sounds like that is just what I should be learning from it, but it isn't that KIND of book at all! Its an interior design book called "Creating a Beautiful Home". I picked it up at a garage sale for free.
When I was in highschool I really didn't want to go to college. I hated the atmosphere of school. It didn't seem much different from the prisons I'd seen in movies. But the thing that got me on the road to going to college were the correspondence art classes my mom signed me up for through the Illinois Institute of Art Chicago. If I had to train for a career, I would train in design!
We all know from my previous post that God had a different dream for me to live out. It is one that I adore, and am so thankful to be fulfilling. Ever since I had our 1st daughter I became a Stay-at-Home Girl. I wouldn't trade it for the world. However, living on one income doesn't accommodate the designer side of me! I have sometimes been frustrated by the necessity to eat and pay bills even though I would love to put a new wall treatment in the livingroom, or windowboxes overflowing with a bower of blooms at our front windows. I have concentrated on my kids, and becoming someone in whom my husband's heart can fully trust in and rely on.
That brings me back to the book I'm reading! The author has been expounding on her own journey as a designer and how she has come to a place where she sees her role as someone who brings light and beauty to darkened homes, while still cultivating the individuality of their owners, & teaching them how to propagate that themselves. I sat there a stunned realization that that has always been my role as well. I strive to instill The Light and beauty of God into my children, & the atmosphere of our daily lives while allowing them to show His Light and beauty in their unique ways and encouraging them onward. I'm an interior designer! God builds the house, and I get to decorate it!
We took a drive and hike yesterday. The kids' cultivated individuality showed throughout the day! Cassia was tired, but she was the lover of beauty and tranquility. The peacemaker. The one who takes everyone into her heart and wants the best for them even when she is exhausted. Christopher was dealing with allergies, but he was alert for what would look cool in a video and taking pics. He is an appreciator, and likes to be appreciated. Sensitive and quick witted, while growing in keeping his feelings in check. He is striving to learn balance. Minda had a toe bugging her, but we didn't hear about it until the end of the day (and it turned out her sock had a wrinkle!). We turned bends to find her in trees or at the top of hills looking down and waving wildly. She collected ~ Cotton, blowing in the wind; fungus, growing on the side of a trees; tiny rocks, smoothed by the river... she climbed onto nearly sunken logs, pointed out strange sounds and laughed unrestrainedly. I love who they are, but I have plans to bring even more of The Light into the darkened corners!

pics below...

4 comments:

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I was just checking up on your blog after a busy couple of months, and I find this beautiful statement:

"I have concentrated on my kids, and becoming someone in whom my husband's heart can fully trust in and rely on."

Truly beautiful. Your husband and children must be very happy.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Anonymous said...

We are, Jeffery. Couldn't ask for a more sacrificial, capable, or loving wife. On top of all of that...she's hot!

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Wonderful to hear, James. I'm happy for all of you.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Deeapaulitan said...

Jeffery,
Thanks for dropping in on me!
I know family is important to you too. I am thankful that there are men who esteem women as wives and mothers and value us.
I'm also glad that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that my husband continues to find me attractive after nearly 18 years of marriage!
D