Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Grape Vine

There will be no pictures with this post because, once again, blogger is going nutzoid.
I'll let you in on a little secret ~ I like wine.
As a kid, the smell repulsed me. As a teenager, the thought of drinking anything scared me. As a young adult, I was judgemental of it and protective of my children being around it. But now I am old. Aged like the wines I enjoy. I have actually only liked wines for around 5 or 6 years.
Funny thing is, we now live in wine country. In the 12 years since we have been home from college, our Walla Walla Valley wineries have become known world wide and are mentioned in the same company as The French wines who are so highly esteemed. I won't pretend to know a lot. "The fool who says nothing will never reveal her foolishness" you know.
We have been talking about doing a tour for years. But ~ its no fun by yourselves. You have to have people to talk about Tanins and Bodies, Bouquets and Nose with. You have to go with others who want to try new things. Any of our posse ready to ball up? Shout Out! We'll take you up on it!
One thing I have found, my tastes are expensive! I tend to want the most expensive wine a vintor ... um... vints. Here are some of my favorites (out of the 25 or so different wines I've tried, lol!):


Kiona Lemberger (it tastes like blackberries with a white peppery top note. It exudes a slight pipe tabacco scent. I love the way this wine makes me feel. Like I'm wrapped in cashmere! I have Dad turning 65 to thank for the pleasure of tasting this one. When I let James tasted it, he kept my glass and I had to get another.)

McCrea Cellars Mourvedre (it'll put hair on your chest... meaty, so purple it is almost black and oh so yummy. I had this at a BBQ and asked for the label as soon as it hit my pallet! At 69$ a bottle, I haven't tried it since.)

McCrea Cellars Syrah (There is no harshness to this wine. Its everything wonderful. 2004 is the year to have, but McCrea is a genius with Syrah. One sip is enough to evoke dreams of walking the Rhone Valley. Its amazing. My Canadian friends had me over for Roasted Pig and served this.)

L'Ecole N*41 Pepperbridge Apogee (intoxicating. It grabbed us at the nose and held us long enough to squeeze $49 out of our wallet! We weren't leaving without a bottle! Apogee means: The point in the orbit of the moon that is at the greatest distance from the center of the earth ~ In other words - it will send you to the moon! Annual anniversary trip; we drank it at our B & B while eating Walla Walla Onion Supreme pizza and watching an old Kojak epsiode. *sigh* Good times! We had to go get lollipops afterwards ~ gotta be like Telle!)

3 comments:

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Posting photos is often a problem for me, too. I have to click the html button and paste the code in.

You might try that, too. Go to the page where you can write a new post, open a post with photos, click on the html button, copy the code that was used with an old photo, then exit, start a new entry, paste the code there, and insert into that code the code that identifies your new photo.

You can preview to see if its working.

Practice till perfect ... which doesn't take long.

After that, have a drink.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Anonymous said...

Well here is a shout, Dan and I would love to go on tour with you
Shelly

Deeapaulitan said...

Hooray!!! I have a schedule for the wine tours in the upcoming months! I'll talk with ya and see when would work for both of us! WOO HOO... Nectar of the Vine, here we come!

Anybody else want to join us???