Thursday, January 24, 2008

One last visit

August 2006 we were invited to come and candidate for a ministry position in Bozeman. We were in a whirlwind of meetings for 3 days where people sat us down and asked us any questions they had about our beliefs, our modus operendi, our shortcomings... Our favorite time, hands down, without a doubt was our time with "the old fogey" crowd. They acted anything but old. It was like being back in youth group. That night we met in the home of Denny and Kathy Granard. Kathy and I talked for over an hour, and then she sat by me during the meeting and whispered encouragements.

2 weeks later, when James was offered the position, Denny and Kathy gave James a place to live, and became his family while we stayed in Washington to get the house ready to sell. He was with them for 2 months. Kathy called me twice during that season to see how I was doing and to pray for me. She and Denny sent us notes to tell us they couldn't wait for us to come.

In November of 2007 when we arrived, but our stuff didn't, Kathy gave us sleeping bags and pillows to sleep in until the movers finally made it.

Kathy enveloped us and after having just moved away from everything familiar, she and Denny filled our need for family.

Now we are losing her. I know God is so happy to have her coming home to Him, and she is happy to go. She told me about the Bible study she was going to do on the life of Moses and then said, "I'll just go ask him all about himself now." She is ready. Wish that made it easier to let go, and to live without her.

We said goodbye yesterday. James and Cassia and I (Minda and Tof have been sick, so they couldn't come). As I was leaving, Kathy took my hand and said, "Deea, trust Him, trust His heart." She knew even then just what I needed to hear, just what I was questioning. I don't understand, but I do know God's love is enough.


Goodbye, Kathy. We love you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you must of missed this...
http://whittakerwoman.typepad.com/whittaker_woman/2008/01/i-am-so-excited.html

Sara said...

Wow...my heart is just breaking. I'm just sitting here staring at the screen in unbelief...frozen. Thank you so much for sharing this. We will be praying for you all, Denny and their family. xxoo

Deeapaulitan said...

Thank you, Sara. She passed away this morning at 5. Surrounded by Family, embraced now by God. I'm going to miss her so much.