Sunday, January 10, 2010

what a day for a dayream

"I adore simple pleasures.  They are the last refuge of the complex." ~Wilde
My kids are all grown but I still love to pour over children's books, especially Brambly Hedge.  Jill Barklem's illustrations and artwork give me hours of sweet daydreams.  I love all the little nooks and crannies, each little detail of cupboards, and closets.  Attics, staircases that wind, hidden worlds, dainties, homemaking, teeny-tiny anything -- all my fascinations wrapped in a bookbinding, what could be more tantalizing?

I'm in serious book lust over the newest compilation - The Complete Brambly Hedge.  We own the 4 seasons book, but to have all her stories and mice in one volume would be heavenly.  I'm imagining grandchildren cuddled on my lap, both of us engrossed in finding sweet nothings, listening to the happenings of Wilfred or Poppy with our feet curled up like a tail around us~  *SQUEE* Utter delight.

2 comments:

Addie said...

I love pictures like that too! I also tend towards kids' books because they are so beautiful and pure and FUN.

Deeapaulitan said...

Me too. Jill's stories are all that and more. Someof my other favorite authors of picture books are Barbara Cooney, Tasha Tudor, Elsa Beskow, and Whitney Darrow Jr. (though his aren't pure or beautiful - just FUN!), And OH! so many more...